Curated by Kids
Calling all bookworms! Does your library card get a better workout than your bus card? Do you always get caught reading past lights out? If so, then we want to hear from you!
We are on the lookout for eight young literature enthusiasts to join our programming team and take over the Perth Writers Festival Family Day.
When: Family Day – Sunday 26 February 2017
Where: Writers Central Stage (UWA Precinct, 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley)
This is your once in a lifetime opportunity to work with some amazing Australian and international authors and illustrators. You could be working with the likes of Donovan Bixley, Julia Lawrinson, Lance Balchin, Zana Fraillon, Nick Earls and Oliver Phommavanh.
The eight successful curators will work closely with the Perth Writers Festival Programming team to design and present sessions with select authors and illustrators. These sessions could involve …
- Live drawing on stage
- An author reading from their latest work
- A conversation between two authors/illustrators (you decide the topic)
- An on-stage interview (with you as the interviewer)
- Something completely different!
Each session will last for 30 minutes and include an audience Q&A.
Team Positions Available
Whether you are a fiction fan, a romantic reader, a cartoon buffoon or just a total word nerd – we have a role for you.
Producer – Oversees the Festival sessions. This includes stage management and time keeping – perfect for someone meticulous and organised.
Host – Introduces the author/illustrator to the audience and manages audience questions. You’ll need to know your way around a microphone and the way to the audience’s heart.
Interviewer – Will ask the author/illustrator a series of questions on stage in front of an audience. You’ll need an inquisitive mind and some serious stage presence.
Reviewer – Will write a review of a book that can be shared on the Perth Writers Festival blog. Budding writers and reviewers should apply.
In return for your passion and dedication, you will get:
- An amazing opportunity to choose what happens at Perth Writers Festival Family Day
- A chance to sharpen your skills – from writing and researching to stage management and public speaking.
- To connect and collaborate with fellow book lovers
- A backstage pass to the Green Room for you and your guardian (you can mingle with all our attending authors!)
- A free pack of books for your own personal library
- A prize pack for your school library
Successful applicants will also be interviewed and their profile will be featured on our website. #famous
- Send us a short video (2–3 minutes) answering the below questions. Please send videos – as an email attachment (up to 6MB) or as a link to a storage space (e.g. Dropbox) – to [email protected] with the subject line 'Curated by Kids'.
- Please also complete this permission form. This must be signed by your parent/guardian and attached to your email as part of your application.
- What’s your name, age and what school do you go to?
- What's a great book you've recently read? What did you love about it?
- Who is you favourite author and why?
- What’s your favourite genre?
- If you could be a character in a book, who wouldn’t you want to be?
- Which Team Positions are you interested in (Producer, Host, Interviewer, Reviewer) and why?
- Why would you be a great curator for our Festival?
In order to apply, you must:
- be 10–12 years of age
- live in Western Australia (regional based applicants must be able to travel to Perth)
- be available on the dates below
- commit to the workload and read the books provided by the Festival
- have a completed permission form that is signed by your parent/guardian
- Monday 5 December 2016, 9am – applications due!
- Wednesday 7 December 2016 – successful applicants will be notified by email.
- Saturday 10 December 2016, 10–11am – meet your fellow curators, collect reading material and get started.
- Wednesday 11 January 2017, 6pm – attend the 2017 Perth Writers Festival Program Launch.
- Saturday 4 February 2017, 9am–3pm – workshop and finalise sessions with your fellow creators and the Perth Writers Festival Programming Team.
- Sunday 26 February 2017 – present your session!
|Family and Education Program Partner||Supported By|